Sunday, March 8, 2009

NEW IDEA!

Hey everyone, so I decided to take a little bit of a turn in my research due to the fact that not all that many contaminants are actually coming from the roofs of aging buildings. There are a lot more contaminants being washed into our storm drainage systems from large scale parking lots. Therefore I am directing my research to the contaminants coming from the parking lots and entering our storm water drainage systems. I am am going to be comparing and contrasting costs and benefits of bioswales vs. porous paving methods. I am hoping to come up with the best possible choice for what should be used on that site in the future. (I am planning on doing this on the lot that we just did our reports for David's class on, if anyone found any useful soil or lot info that would be great.)

3 comments:

  1. aparently brick pavers provide the same effect as lattice paving in allowing water to flow between the individual bricks.

    of interest:
    http://www.ecocitycleveland.org/smartgrowth/watershed/urban_streams/reduce_impervious.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, sorry I took a while to respond to this, it got tucked away in my blog and I didn't see it. I will take a look though, any information is helpful, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip on the website, I have found a lot of comparable info to that. If you come across any diagrams I would really like to see those as well. I haven't got a chance to look at the one website you suggested with the stormwater runoff info. but it's on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete